- Do you put as much thought into growing and tending to your forest as you do to your yard, garden, or farm fields?
- Are you aware that a few simple forest management techniques can dramatically improve the ability of your forest to grow revenue, enhance property value and provide better wildlife habitat too? Do you know what these techniques are?
- Are you familiar with terms such as “basal area,” “DBH,” or “clinometer?”
- Are you planning to harvest trees but don’t really know how to do it or what to do with the property afterwards?
- Do you desire to be a better steward of the Land?
The First Look at Woodland Management Clinic is a training for forest landowners, especially those who are new to woodland ownership or have never developed a management plan for the forested parts of their properties. This program will teach the techniques and terms that will help you dramatically improve not only the value of the timber on your property but also enhance wildlife habitat and other ecosystem services that your woodlands provide. The field tour will follow a landowner who has initiated a management plan. The results illustrate the stark differences between well managed stands and woodlands left to their own devices.
- Determining Objectives and Developing a Plan for Your Woodland
- Realizing the Benefits of Proper Management
- Managing for Wildlife
- Life of a Stand – Sequencing Events from Planting to Harvest
- Selling Timber – Contracts and Process
- Introduction to Forest Pest Management
- Encouraging Stewardship in Youth and Future Landowners
The field tour will visit several stops nearby to show woodlands in all stages of growth and will provide an opportunity to see how proper planting, site preparation, and vegetation control can improve tree growth and forest value.
Friday, May 4 at 9:00am to 4:00pm
Shuler's BBQ, large ballroom 419 Hwy 38, Latta, SC 29592